Corona-Virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) is an infectious disease caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The disease was first identified in December 2019 in Wuhan, the capital of China’s Hubei province, and has since spread globally, resulting in the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
The time from exposure to onset of COVID-19 symptoms may range from two to fourteen days. While the majority of cases result in mild symptoms, some progress to viral pneumonia and multi-organ failure.
- ◙ Sore Throat
- ◙ High Fever
- ◙ Dry Cough
- ◙ Shortness of Breath.
- ◙ Avoid handshakes and hugs while greeting people, use Indian Namaste instead.
- ◙ Regularly wash your hands with soap and water, or with an alcohol-based handrub (sanitiser).
- ◙ Cover your nose and mouth with a disposable tissue or flexed elbow when you cough or sneeze.
- ◙ Avoid close contact (maintain 2 to 3 feet distance) with people who are unwell.
- ◙ Stay home and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell.
- ◙ Avoid all non-essential travel, if you do need to step out of home then make sure to wear a medical face-mask or any home-made mask.
- ◙ Avoid any type of cold and refrigerated foods and drinks
- ◙ Drink plenty of room-temperature or lukewarm water.
- ◙ If you are have common cold or sore-throat then gargle with warm water and apply steam inhalation (atleast 2 to 3 times a day).
- ◙ Keep handy some over-the-counter (OTC) drugs along with Paracetamol and Azithromycin for your common cold, flu and any mild fever symptoms. Consult your Doctor for medical guidance or any emergency.
India’s Ministry of AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy) recommends the following self-care guidelines for preventive health measures and boosting immunity with special reference to respiratory health.
General Measures for Enhancing Immunity
- ◙ Drink warm water throughout the day.
- ◙ Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes (at home) as advised by Ministry of AYUSH.
- ◙ Spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya (Coriander) and Lahsun (Garlic) are recommended in cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Boosting Measures
- ◙ Take Chyavanprash 10gm (1tsf) in the morning. Diabetics should take sugar free Chyavanprash.
- ◙ Drink herbal tea / decoction (Kadha) made from Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimirch (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger) and Munakka (Raisin) – once or twice a day. Add jaggery (natural sugar) and / or fresh lemon juice to your taste, if needed.
- ◙ Golden Milk- Half tea spoon Haldi (turmeric) powder in 150 ml hot milk – once or twice a day.
Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
- ◙ Nasal application – Apply sesame oil / coconut oil or Ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasya) in morning and evening.
- ◙ Oil pulling therapy- Take 1 table spoon sesame or coconut oil in mouth. Do not drink, Swish in the mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it off followed by warm water rinse. This can be done once or twice a day.
Recommendations for Dry-Cough and Sore-Throat
- ◙ Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (Mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once in a day.
- ◙ Lavang (Clove) powder mixed with natural sugar / honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
- ◙ These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. However, it is best to consult doctors if these symptoms persist.
The above measures can be followed to the extent possible as per an individual’s convenience.
Press release by Press Information Bureau: “AYUSH Recommendations”